Information on joining the CWU
As the Union for workers in the UK telecommunications and information services industry the CWU is committed to recruiting, organising and representing the telecoms and information services workforce.
Of the many thousands of telecoms and information services companies operating in the UK, some provide comparatively good levels of pay and employee protection, and some offer no more than the bare legal minimum.
Whatever the level of treatment, there is always room to improve the working lives of telecoms and information services workers by focusing on a whole range of issues from pay and pensions to work life balance and career development opportunities.
"We need to change the balance of forces at the workplace and also change the balance of forces in wider society. The role of a union is about struggle - you deal with one fight and as soon as you've dealt with that, there's another fight to have - we're going to continue that fight for all of you and for all workers."
What We Stand For...
The Communication Workers Union exists to protect, advance and serve the interests of its members throughout the communications industry. In pursuit of its aims the union will seek to:
- provide first class collective and individual representation for all CWU members
- achieve security of employment for all members
- offer individual membership services of the highest quality
- expand trade union membership throughout the communications industry
- promote, by industrial and political means, the success of the industries in which our members work
- campaign against all forms of discrimination
- further these objectives by promoting the influence of the union throughout the national and international community.
We represent around 250,000 workers employed in the communications, finance and related industries.
Our aim is to improve your working life and we are committed to ensuring that each member:
- is treated with respect and dignity at work,
- has access to advice and representation from our trained officials,
- has a safe working environment.
Unions cannot remove uncertainty in an uncertain world - but unionised workers have the best opportunity of defending themselves. That is why telecom, cable, mobile and call centre workers join the CWU.
With the support of the CWU, employees can promote their legitimate interests in the workplace. You don't have work for a large company like BT to be a member. Recently significant groups of workers have secured recognition with many different employers.
Get Respect at Work - Join The Union!
If you want to be part of the union then it's simple to join. You can get more information about joining the CWU or you can contact the CWU Organising Department on our free number 0800 731 7434 or email email@example.com. Alternatively you can write to the CWU at:150 The Broadway,
SW19 1RX. Telephone (020) 8921 7239